When Gmail does not sync on the android phone or tablet, you will see the account authentication failed or syncing error on the mail app. Due to this, you will not be able to send or receive new emails through your Gmail account.
In most cases, Gmail is not syncing on the android phone because of the outdated login password. Probably, your password has been changed after setting up the account on the android phone.
However, mobile devices sometimes cannot synchronize with Gmail because of other mail settings or application issues. Some of those settings are listed below.
- Google account settings settings are Invalid.
- Auto-sync has been disabled.
- Internet settings issue.
- Gmail settings are out of date
- Mail application related issues.
- Google server issue.
So If Gmail is not working on the android phone. you can make the following changes into the Gmail or google account.
How Do I Fix Gmail not syncing on android phone?
Turn on the auto-sync-
When Gmail is not syncing the emails on android phone, you should review the auto-sync feature. Make sure you haven’t disabled it.
If auto sync is turned off, please go to the mail settings and turn it on.
- Open the settings.
- Tap on the Accounts and password. (In some android phones, you will have users & account or mails option).
- Press the Gmail account From the list.
- Scroll down and Tap on account sync.
- Enable the sync now button.
Review the internet connection-
Sometimes, Gmail not updating the mailbox in the android phone because of the internet connection. So you should take a look at the mobile data and WIFI settings. If you are using the WIFI feature, Please ensure that your android phone is connected to the WIFI, and internet is working.
However, If you use mobile data, don’t forget to turn on the smartphone’s mobile data feature. Also, check that the data plan is active.
You can easily manage inspect them from the settings.
You can also read: Can’t add the gmail account on windows 10 mail?
Deactivate the Airplane mode –
Along with checking mobile data & wireless connection, make sure that Airplane Mode is not activated in the phone.
- Open settings.
- Tap on the airplane mode.
- Push the turn off button (if activated).
Update the Gmail password-
If you have recently changed your Gmail account password, didn’t update it on the android phone. It is obvious to suffer “Gmail not syncing with android phone” problem.
In such a case, you need to go to the mail settings on the android phone and update the Gmail password there.
- Let’s open the settings tab on the android phone.
- Tap on the accounts & password section (in the recent android version, you will see mail option).
- Tap on the Gmail address.
- Look for the password section; Enter here your Current Gmail password.
- Press the save or done button.
Now re-open the Gmail settings and try to use the webmail again. Let’s see what does it shows to you.
Enable The IMAP On Gmail –
When Gmail app is not syncing with your account. Let’s go to the settings, and enable the imap server.
- Open the Gmail account on browser.
- Click on the Settings >> See all settings.
- Go to the forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- Click on the Enable IMAP.
- Now click on the Save Changes.
Reconfigure the Gmail on android phone-
After making these changes, If Gmail is still not syncing with android phone, Please remove the current account settings and reconfigure your account again.
- Open the settings on the android phone again.
- Tap on the Accounts & password section.
- Touch the Gmail account.
- Press the delete or remove account button.
- Now touch the add account button.
- Select Gmail from the list.
- Enter the username & password and press continue.
If you enter the correct login details, you will successfully sign in to your Gmail account, and Emails will start syncing into your account.
Clear the Gmail app data-
Sometimes, Gmail auto sync feature doesn’t respond because of the existing cookies or data issue. so you need to clear them, and then reconfigure the account.
- Open the settings
- Tap on the apps & permissions section.
- Now tap on the Gmail application.
- Here, you need to touch the storage button.
- Press the clear data.
Update the mail application-
Some users are getting the Gmail not syncing on android error after inputting the correct login details. In that case, there might be an issue with the mail application.
So you should update the Gmail application with the help of the play store and then retry to sync with mail from the server.
Reinstall the Gmail App –
If the Gmail android app is still not syncing with the android app., you should uninstall the app. Now reboot the mobile. After that, you need to install the new app from the play store.
- Tap & Hold the Gmail app.
- Press the app info.
- Now click on the Uninstall button.
- Now open the Play store.
- Search For Gmail app.
- Tap on the Install button.
Note- in some android models, you won’t be uninstall the Gmail app. So you can force stop it. now open the Gmail app again.
How Do I Fix Gmail not syncing contacts Android?
If Gmail is not syncing the email contacts on the android phone. Please check the auto-sync option first. It is enabled, but still google contacts not syncing with the Android phone or tablet; please make these changes.
- Open the settings on the android phone.
- Tap on the google button.
- Now tap on the settings for google app.
- Touch the Google Contacts sync.
- Click on the manage settings.
- In the automatically backup & sync device contacts section, Turn On the automatic sync.
You can also Perform the import & export contacts feature task on the android phone. To do that, you visit the Gmail contacts webmail page and then press the menu button.
Now select the import and export option, and perform whatever process you want to do.
So these are the steps to fix Gmail not syncing with android phone or tablet problem.
In case if you are dealing with some other issues with the Gmail account. Please tell us via comment or send us an email. We will give you a solution by replying to that comment or write a separate post for you.
Let’s open the Gmail app. now scroll down the mailbox. it will be refreshed.
It completely depends on you. if you will keep it off. you have to open the mailbox and refresh it to get the new emails.
It completely depends on the syncing frequency settings. by default it is setup to 15 minutes. So your phone will automatically the data from Gmail after every 15 minutes.
You can also read: