In the modern tech era, Lenovo computers are setting up their footprint as reliable machines, and that’s why they are being used for business purposes.
These computers are built with good quality hardware. So helps you in reaching the goal without any performance issues.
But in odd cases, Users can have a “Lenovo laptop won’t turn on” problem.
When they press the Power button on the Lenovo laptop, they must go through one of the following situations.
- Lenovo laptops won’t turn on flashing/blinking power lights.
- My Lenovo laptop won’t turn on, showing only the Lenovo logo screen.
- No power light, and it won’t turn on a Lenovo laptop.
- Lenovo laptop turns on, but the screen is black.
- It shows the startup logo and then restarts again and again.
Why Does My Lenovo Laptop Not Power On?
There can be many reasons the computer is not turning on the problem, depending on the situation. Meanwhile, some of the common causes are available below.
- RAM or Process is Not In working condition.
- The Laptop is having a power supply issue.
- The battery/ Power adapter is dead.
- Some Windows Files are corrupted.
- Viruses Or malware have damaged the BOOTMGR File.
How Do I Fix Lenovo Laptop That is Not Powering On?
So If you are currently unable to power on the Lenovo ThinkPad or idea pad laptop. Now looking for a way to fix it. Follow the guide given below.
Step 1- Plugin the power adapter –
You should plug in the power adapter when the Lenovo laptop does not power on.
Most of the battery is discharged because your Laptop is not turning on.
Once the charging light is on, you need to press the power button on the Laptop. In case if you can’t see the charging light, you need to visit:
Step 2: Assure that the Laptop is not overheating –
If your Lenovo laptop shuts down unexpectedly and won’t turn on. Please check the Laptop’s temperature. Most probably, it is dealing with the overheating issue.
What causes the Overheating issue –
- The processor fan is not working.
- You are running heavy files on the Laptop.
- Air ventilation is not good.
- You are using the Laptop in a very hot environment. Like- direct sunlight is coming on the Laptop or room temperature is high.
What to do?
If so, you need to take these actions to protect your Laptop from overheating or damage issues.
- Leave your computer Off and place it near the A/C.
- Let it be cool. Please do not turn on the Laptop until it is hot.
- Now Power on the Laptop once It gets cool down. Now check If the processor is working or not.
- Use the Laptop stand for better air ventilation.
- Do not run the heavy program on the Laptop again.
Step 3: Check The RAM Issue –
When you press the power button on the Laptop, it shows the black screen. There might be a problem with the RAM.
So you need to clean the RAM on your Laptop via cleaning liquid.
- Unplug the power adapter.
- Keep the Laptop powered off.
- Remove the battery from your Laptop. (If the battery is removable)
- Now open the back panel of the Laptop.
- Remove the RAM,
- Clean it with the help of cleaning liquid and Cotton.
- Clean the RAM slot with the Cotton.
- After that, install the RAM into the Laptop.
- Plugin the battery & back cover.
- Power on the Laptop now.
Now you should be getting the power light on the Laptop. If it still shows the black screen, you should replace the RAM.
Step 4- Emergency Reset The Laptop-
If you have not found the problem with the RAM or processor, your ThinkPad laptop is still not turning on. You should emergency reset the Laptop.
- Unplug the power cable from your Laptop.
- Now unplug the battery as well.
- Take a paper clip or pen; Press & hold the emergency reset button for 30 seconds. (It is a small hole available in the side or bottom of the machine).
- After releasing the button, you need to Plugin the battery.
- Now press the power button on the Laptop.
Step 5: Check the battery issue-
Sometimes, A laptop won’t turn on because of a battery issue. So you need to remove the battery from your Laptop. Now Plugin the power adapter and turn on the Laptop.
If it is turning on without any interruption. It means the battery is dead. So you have to replace it.
Step 6- Motherboard Is Not working –
If you don’t see any light on the Laptop while Laptop is plugged in. It means the mother is not in working condition. That’s why it won’t turn on the Laptop.
Troubleshoot Lenovo Laptop plugged in but won’t turn on –
When your Laptop is connected to the power outlet through an adapter, it is still not turning on. You should check the following things on the Laptop.
- Unplug the charger power cable and check wall outlet has electricity.
- Check the indicator lights on the charging adapter. If it has no light while plugged in, replace the power supply. Always use the original charger and buy the original Lenovo charger from the official website.
- Check carefully for any physical damage to the adapter cables, plugs, or charging points. Look for signs of burn marks or twisted cable.
- Replace the hardware if you find any damage to the AC adapter, DC, or charging pins.
- Check the charging indicator light of the Laptop is on or off after connecting the charger to the Laptop.
For More details, you can see why my Lenovo laptop is plugged in but not charging.
Fix Lenovo Laptop Won’t Turn On Flashing/Blinking Power Light:
You should show the solid power light when you push the power button on the Lenovo laptop.
But If your Lenovo laptop shows the blinking power light, you should wait for a few minutes.
Most probably, the Laptop is dealing with an inconsistent power supply issue. That’s why it is unable to turn on. Generally, a power supply issue appears because of the cheaper power adapters. So you should avoid these power adapters.
If your Laptop still does not turn on after waiting for long hours. You need to apply the following steps.
The one-minute fix or reset of the power cache-
- Let’s Force shut down the Laptop by holding the power button.
- Disconnect the Power adapter & battery from the Laptop.
- Press & Hold the power button on the Laptop for 1 minute.
- After releasing the button, you need to Plugin the battery and turn on the Laptop again.
- If the Laptop boots up normally, you are good to go; otherwise, follow the same procedure again.
- Still, If your Laptop is still having a startup problem, revise the step one last time again.
- After releasing the power button, do not insert the battery into the Laptop.
- Plug the charger into your Laptop only and turn it on.
If the Laptop has turned on, the battery is causing the Lenovo laptop not to turn on. Otherwise, go to the next step.
Reset The Laptop-
- Let’s Keep your Laptop off; now disconnect the adapter & battery.
- Every Laptop has a tiny reset hole on it. It may be below or back of the Laptop.
- Insert a paper clip and press straight in the laptop reset hole.
- Hold it for 30 seconds.
- Release the reset button.
- Now, plug in the battery and start your Lenovo laptop. Still not turning on, go to the next step below.
Completely Reset All Settings With BIOS-
- Let’s Unplug the battery and laptop charger.
- Unscrew the Laptop’s bottom cover.
- Unplug the CMOS battery.
- Press & hold the power button for one minute.
- Insert the BIOS battery, and close the back cover of the Laptop.
It will completely remove power saved within Laptop ICs and reset the BIOS. Now start the Laptop and check it’s turning on.
Drain The Battery And Reset-
- Unplug the Laptop charger.
- Try to turn on Lenovo’s Laptop on battery.
- If the power button is flashing, leave it as it is till the battery drain.
- Once the battery Is Drained, Pull out the battery. Now press the power button 10 times within 1-second intervals.
- Now, press and hold the power button for 30 seconds.
- Insert the battery and turn on the ThinkPad laptop. Also, Plugin the charging adapter.
- Try to turn on the Laptop by pressing the power button.
My Lenovo laptop won’t turn on stuck at the Lenovo logo screen:
We can relate Laptop stuck on the Lenovo logo screen issue with BIOS software because BIOS is responsible for the first boot of any computer or Laptop. It first checks all the hardware equipment status and then boots up the OS on the Laptop.
You can try to fix it by updating the BIOS firmware. Follow the steps and apply them to your Laptop.
- Connect LAN or Internet cable on your laptop LAN port.
- Plugin the charger into the Laptop.
- Restart the Laptop.
- Keep pressing DEL/Delete key to enter the bios setup. In some models, entering in bios setup key may differ. It shows on the bottom screen of every startup.
- First, find the option to make bios settings as a factory and apply it.
- Now, there would be an option to check for updates. Please select it and install updated firmware of bios.
- Press F10 and also save and exit.
Note: If any hardware part of the Laptop fails in the test, your Lenovo laptop won’t start. You will receive an error message about equipment failure on the post-boot screen. So, You must read the message and try to fix it accordingly.
You can also visit: Why does my Lenovo laptop shut down suddenly?
Fix No power light and won’t turn on a laptop:
No light indication after pressing the power button indicates some critical issues. First, check the indicator light on the charger. If your charger has a light turned on, It means a problem with the Laptop.
Please take out the battery of your Lenovo laptop and plug it into the charger. Press the power button and check if there is any indicator light on. If the Laptop is turning on, change your laptop battery.
In case, after connecting, the only charger still, has no light, follow the steps below:
- Remove the charger and battery from the Laptop.
- Press the power button 10 times within every second of the interval.
- Press and hold the power button for one minute after completing 10 intervals.
- Now, Connect the battery and charger and turn on the Laptop.
Lenovo laptop has a black screen, but the fan is spinning:
Press the power button, Lenovo laptop is turned on. The motherboard sounds, and you hear the spinning fan, but your screen stays black or dim. That’s Lenovo black screen, and nothing works. instead spinning fan.
In this case, you should turn off the Laptop by long-pressing the power button or removing the battery. The black screen problem mainly occurs from faulty RAM or dirty RAM.
It can be fixed easily by changing or cleaning the RAM. Read in detail here how do I know my RAM is faulty? and fix Lenovo black screen problem.
Shows The Startup Logo Then Restarts Again And Again:
Sometimes we start the Laptop and hear the fan engage, but then it shuts off right away before you get to that initial startup logo screen. It seems like it started, and you hear the motherboard click.
It keeps restarting over and over. That’s going to be a boot loop. The problem may arise due to corrupt Windows operating system boot files or dust in the fan.
Your Lenovo laptop never turns on if it is dusty or if something is stuck on the fan, and a laptop Fan must spin to maintain the temperature.
Why Won’t Lenovo Laptop Turn on After the update?
If your Lenovo laptop won’t turn on after the update. You should reset the Laptop to the factory settings.
To do that, you can use the Emergency Reset button.
In case, If Laptop shows the logo and the black screen after that. You should try to reboot the Laptop in safe mode. Now uninstall the recent update, and it will start booting up normally now.