These days, Keeping the high security on the email account is very important. According to the research, We have found that almost 10% of email users are becoming victims of hacking activities, and anonymous persons are unknowingly using their email accounts.
That’s why every email company, including – Yahoo, is adding more security layers to the email accounts. So users can protect their email accounts and data without any interruption.
You should always enable every kind of security feature (two-step security, fingerprint/pin, etc.) into the yahoo account. So you can always keep yahoo protected.
If you are a Yahoo mail user and don’t know how to secure it from an anonymous person? Stay tuned to this article to learn more about strategies to protect your account from hackers.
How to recognize If the Yahoo account is Unsecure?
Here are the potential indicators of insecure yahoo mail account. When you go through one of the following situation. It’s a time to take a deep look into the account security.
- Can’t sign into yahoo account and getting a password has been an changed a while ago error, while you didn’t change the password.
- Yahoo is sending spam mails (promotion mails, money-related emails, etc. ) to your contacts.
- Your recovery information has been changed.
- Getting a suspicious login notification.
- Yahoo not receiving new emails.
- Emails are missing from the inbox or other folders automatically.
- The mail signature or name has been modified.
How To Secure Yahoo Account For The Future?
If you want to enhance the security level of your yahoo account. you should make the following changes into secure your account.
Change the password
Whenever you feel like your yahoo account is not secure, reset the password for your yahoo account first.
To reset the password, you may follow these steps.
- Let’s get into the yahoo account.
- Click on the yahoo profile picture and press the account info.
- Go to the account security from the left menu, and click on change password.
- Now you need to click on I would rather use my password.
- Finally, you will get a form to create a new yahoo password, so type your password and click on done.
Tips For Creating A Strong Password-
- You should never use the DOB, Phone number, or your name in the password.
- Avoid using your all-time favorite movie, song, or person name.
- The password should be a minimum of 10-15 Characters long.
- You should always think of using a complex password.
Sign Out the not recognized devices to secure your yahoo account
Once you change the yahoo mail password, you need to look at the recent activity. Suppose you find any unknown device or location in the login activity. Go ahead and sign out from that device.
- Go back to the account info again.
- Click on the recent activity.
- Now you will able to see the list of devices, on which your account is logging in right now. You may click on the sign-out button available next to each device.
Check The Recovery Option –
After reviewing the recent activity, you should look at the recovery option on your yahoo account if you see any phone numbers or email addresses. Which is not yours; you should remove them instantly.
if you have an old phone number that is not in use. You need to remove that too and update a new phone number. For more details, you can visit: how to change the phone number on yahoo mail?
- Open the yahoo mail.
- Click on the profile picture.
- Go to the account info again.
- Click on the account security.
- Check the recovery options there.
Enable Two-Step Security
Two-step security is always considered a top-notch security feature to secure your email account from hackers. When you enable the two-step security on your account, you won’t be able to log in to your account on a new device without entering the OTP. That OTP will be sent to your email or phone number as per your choice.
So whenever It comes to securing the yahoo mail account from anonymous people/ hackers. I would always recommend you to turn on the two-step security on your account.
- Open The Yahoo Mail Account.
- Press the profile icon.
- Go to the account info.
- Now click on the Account security.
- Enter the yahoo mail password to sign into the account security.
- Now Press the turn on 2 Step verification.
Enable the Finger Print/ Pin Option-
Suppose you like to use the yahoo mail account on the phone or smartphone. Yahoo mail gives you a choice of login through fingerprint or pin, and you can simply enable that. So, whenever you are with someone and need to access the mailbox. You don’t have to enter the password in front of them.
- Go to the yahoo account info page.
- Click on the account security.
- Log into the yahoo mail account.
- Now Turn on the fingerprint/ Pin option.
Delete The Unwanted Email Filters
Remove the unwanted email filters from your account to stop auto-delete emails.
- Go to the yahoo mail settings.
- Click on the email filters.
- Select the filter, which you want to delete and press the delete button.
Disable The Auto-Forwarding Settings
If you are unable to get new emails on your yahoo account, you should check the auto-forward settings. Most probably, someone has enabled the forwarding, that’s why emails are jumping to the other destination.
So you need to delete your emails from the account and follow the instructions.
- Return back to the yahoo mail settings again.
- Click on the mailbox >> select your email.
- Now if you see any email address under the forwarding settings, you need to remove it from the account.
Review The Mail Signature
Last but not the least, you should never forget to review the email signature. When your account is compromised, the person may change the mail signatures and they can make their own.
So these are the steps to secure your yahoo mail account. In case, if you have any other questions, you may ask in the comment below.