Roku is a famous media streaming device. That allows you to watch online content on non-smart tv. Roku supports more than ten thousand channels and apps. Netflix & Amazon prime are a few of them.
In general, the Netflix application works very smoothly on Roku. But sometimes, due to technical glitches, Netflix can stop working on Roku. Due to this, Roku users may have to face the following problems.
- Netflix Keeps crashing on the Roku device.
- Netflix is not loading the content library on the Roku.
- When you click on the Netflix app, Roku goes back to the home screen.
Why Is My Netflix Not Working on the Roku Device?
Generally, Netflix is not working on the Roku because of the Internet connection or cache settings. Besides this, sometimes, Netflix may stop working because of application or Device errors. Here are the reasons for that.
- The cache is blocking the connection.
- The application is corrupted or outdated.
- Netflix Account is deactivated.
- Roku requires a Firmware update.
- Internet connection issue.
How Do I Fix My Netflix That Is Not Working On Roku?
1. Restart The Roku-
When Netflix Does not work on the Roku, Please restart it once. Now open the Netflix app again. It should be working fine. In case Netflix still keeps showing the same error. You need to proceed to the next step.
2. Check Internet Connection
Netflix won’t load on Roku if the internet speed is slow. When the Download speed is slow, It will increase the ping time. Due to this, you might not be able to stream a movie or show on Netflix.
- Power on the Roku.
- Go to the Settings.
- Click on the Network.
- Now click on the About section.
Here, you will see the connection status and internet download speed. The download speed should be good. To fix the connection, you may restart the Networking equipment. Or contact the Internet service provider.
3. Use The Ethernet Connection-
If the internet connection is not stable on the ROKU via WIFI. It may cause trouble in accessing the Internet connection. So you need to connect the ROKU or tv via LAN cable. Now access the content library on the Netflix application. It should be working fine now.
4. Netflix Service Should Be UP-
As you know, Netflix is an ott app. It constantly streams the content from its servers. So when Netflix doesn’t work on the Roku, you need to Verify the service status. However, the server has 99.99% uptime. But sometimes, they might get down due to the technical glitches on the servers.
So, you should check the Netflix status from Is Netflix Down.
5. Turn Off Auto-Detect Resolution
If your internet is slow, Netflix plays high-resolution videos by default. It may have trouble loading the content. You should select the Auto resolution on the Netflix account in such a case.
- Go to Roku Settings using the remote cursor.
- Click on Display Type.
- Select Auto Detect to preferred resolution.
- Click on Confirm and restart the Roku.
6. Clear The Cache-
Sometimes, Netflix is not working on the Roku device because of the cache issue. So you need to clear the cache on your Roku device.
- Power on the Roku.
- Press the home button 5 times.
- Now press the Up button.
- After that, you need to Hit the rewind button 2 times.
- Finally, hit the Fast forward button 2times.
Now your Roku device will reboot itself and clear all cache.
7. Deactivate & Activate Netflix On Roku
Sometimes Netflix does not work on Roku due to mismatched user data. It happens if you change the user information like password, plan, or else.
So you have to reactivate the Netflix app on Roku to fix the issues.
- Go to Roku Home Screen and click on the gear icon of settings.
- Scroll down to Settings and press the ok button from the remote.
- Move to Deactivate option and click on it.
- Click on Confirm & restart the Roku.
- Go to the Roku home screen and click on the Netflix app icon.
- It will prompt to set up again with username and password.
You have to log in again and check whether Netflix is working or not.
8. Update Netflix App & Roku Software
If you are using the older version of the Netflix app on Roku. It won’t be able to connect to the servers due to security reasons. To get it fixed, you have to update the Netflix app.
- Go Roku Home Screen.
- Click on the gear icon from the top right corner.
- Navigate to Settings and click on it.
- Click on System from the menu and then Software Update.
- Go to Check Now to check the latest update.
It will check updates for both Roku as well as Netflix apps. It will start downloading and updating if there is any update available.
9. Reinstall Netflix App On Roku–
Reinstalling the Netflix app will fix most of the issues related to Netflix on Roku.
Uninstalling the Netflix app from Roku:
- Turn on the Roku.
- Go to the Home screen.
- Navigate to Netflix.
- Press the star ( * ) button on the remote.
- Scroll down to “Remove channel” and click on Remove. It will remove the Netflix app from your Roku box.
Reinstalling Netflix app on Roku:
- Go to the Roku Home screen.
- In the search option, type “Netflix,” which will show the Netflix app to install.
- Select the Netflix icon and click on Add the channel. It will start installing Netflix app on your Roku.
- After finishing the installation, go to the home screen and find the installed Netflix app icon.
- Click on the Netflix icon and open it.
- It will ask to log in by username & password.
- Enter your Netflix username and password, and click on Sign in.
- Now play something on the Netflix app; it should be working currently.
10 – Reset Roku Device Factory Default–
You have to reset Roku if nothing fixes the Netflix not working problem. Reset Roku will make it a factory default mode. All the settings & apps will be removed.
For doing Roku reset, follow the steps:
- Open the Roku home screen.
- Go to Settings.
- Scroll down to the System menu.
- Click on Advanced System Settings.
- Now, select the Factory Reset option.
- You will get space to type the password code.
- Find the Passcode below on the same screen or the on the back of the Roku device.
- You must type that Passcode, and the Roku device will reset as factory default.
- Further, Go to the home screen and add your channels with the help of a search.
11- Enable Netflix Account From Servers
Sometimes your Netflix account may disable by Netflix. Reason can be anything like payment or billing. In this case, you have to contact their customer care and ask for the solution.
First, they will confirm your account details and then guide you over the phone. If the problem is from Netflix, they will solve it, and your Netflix will start working with Roku.
Above all, the steps can solve Netflix not working on the Roku problem. If you have any problems with the steps, please comment below. I will surely reply to you with the solution.
You can also read: