Recently I went to Quora for the contribution. there I founded many Lenovo users to complain about no sound problem on the laptop.
Some users were missing the audio entirely. while, others were struggling with the audio problem on a specific windows applications like- YouTube, zoom, VLC. etc.
Generally, sound is not working on the Lenovo laptop due to the few technical faults with the driver or hardware.
- Audio is muted or volume is too low.
- audio services are not responding.
- Windows can’t detect the output audio device or no device plugged into the jack.
- The sound drivers are conflicting.
- Audio driver requires an update.
- Windows requires an update.
- Speaker or hardware related issues.
These are the common reasons for lenovo laptop sound doesn’t work issue. Now you must be thinking:
How do I get the sound back on my Lenovo laptop?
The no audio problem easily fixable on the any Lenovo windows or Chromebook computer. Here, I have distinct this article into two parts. 1. Basic & Advance guide for troubleshooting the audio not working on Lenovo laptop. You can easily apply them on the laptop.
How Do I Get Sound Back On My Lenovo Laptop?
Unmute the sound-
When the sound has suddenly stopped working on the Lenovo Yoga or idea pad laptop, Please reboot it first. Once you return to the home screen, ensure that the sound isn’t muted.
If you have a mute sign on the lenovo computer, please unmute the audio.
- Let’s press the speaker icon accessible from Windows taskbar. If you don’t see it, press the expand arrow to view more functions. There you will see the speaker icon.
- If you find the cross sign next to the speaker. Click on the speaker to unmute the audio.
If you are having struggling in unmuting the sound using via above steps, Please use the mute/unmute function key.
Each laptop has a built in mute/unmute switch(button). F1 is the audio key in most lenovo notebook, but it may vary according to your laptop model.
Raise the volume on the laptop-
If sound is working but lenovo speakers are not audible? You should raise the volume bar.
That generally happens because you have decreased the volume at 0. So you should boost the sound volume on the laptop by making several changes to your laptop.
- Press the sound icon in the Windows taskbar again.
- Increase the audio on the laptop. Leave the bar on 100%.
Use the headphones or external speakers-
When Lenovo laptop has no sound while using the internal speakers, Please plugin the headphone or external speaker. Now play something, Let’s see is it playing the audio on the device or not.
If Lenovo laptop speakers not working but headphones or speakers are, there might be an issue with the audio driver.
The audio driver may be missing, or the speakers are faulty. we will fix that in the next steps.
Pick the default playback-
When the Lenovo laptop has no sound problem. please go to the sound settings and check the default speaker. The windows might be using the wrong device for audio output.
To get that audio problem solved, you have to choose the internal speakers as default. Now retry to access the internet on your devices.
For windows 10 pc-
- Go to the control panel on laptop.
- Click on the sound (hardware and sound).
- Please select the playback speaker & Click on the set default button.
- Finally, Press ok to make the default playback.
For windows 11 Computer-
- Open the settings.
- Click on the sound.
- In the output section, Select the speaker by click on the radio button next to it.
Change the audio format-
If you have chosen the default speaker on the laptop, you are still not getting the audio. Please go to the advanced sound settings and change the audio format.
- Open the control panel on your computer.
- Click on the sound option.
- Select your playback device.
- Click on the properties option.
- Now click on the advanced button.
- Choose the audio format from the list and press the play button to test the sound.
Roll Back The Audio Driver-
If the Lenovo laptop has no sound after updating the driver, you should roll back the audio driver to the previous version.
- Open the run box.
- Type devmgmt.msc and press the ok button.
- Expand the Sound, video and game controller section.
- Double click on the audio driver.
- Now click on the drivers tab.
- Here, you need to press the roll back driver button.
- Finally, Click on the ok button.
Advance Guide to fix the Lenovo laptop sound not working problem on windows 10 or any other laptop?
Restart the audio services-
In windows 10 OS, Audio service stop responding very often. Due to which, speakers aren’t audible on the lenovo computer.
So you have to restart the windows audio services to fix the lenovo laptop sound not working problem.
- Click on the windows key available at the taskbar, Input the “services” in the windows search box.
- Go to the windows audio service using the scrolling method.
- Select the windows audio service and press the restart
Update the audio driver-
If the sound is not working on the old Lenovo laptop, Please update the sound driver.
- Hit the Windows key in the keyboard or use the windows key given in the taskbar, and enter the device manager in the search. Hit the device manager option from the search result.
- Right-click on any single audio driver, and push the update driver option.
- Press the first option that says about the automatic update.
- Wait for a moment; windows may take a couple of minutes to download the finish the driver update process.
Update the Windows –
Sometimes, Lenovo sound not working because windows requires an update. so you need to remove the current account and then re-add them again.
- Open the settings on the windows computer.
- Click on the updates and security.
- Press the check update button.
- If there are any updates available, you need to update it again.
Remove the duplicate & useless drivers-
Sometimes, the Lenovo laptop has no sound problem because of duplicate drivers when the computer uses multiple sound drivers. They might conflict with each other. in this case, you may get no audio output device installed error.
In this case, you should uninstall all audio drivers from the laptop using the techniques given below.
- Let’s open the device manager window again using the same steps we used previously.
- Right-click on any audio driver and click the “uninstall device”from menu.
- Put a check and hit the ok button to finish the process.
- Now do the same thing to uninstall the other audio drivers too.
After uninstalling the audio driver, the reboot is required.so windows can find & install the best audio driver automatically from the Lenovo store.
Factory Restore the computer-
After changing these settings, if Lenovo sound is still not working. Please proceed for the factory restore process. Please restore the computer to the back date.
- Enter CMD in the windows search, and push the command prompt option.
- Type “rstrui.exe” and Push the enter button on the keyboard.
- You will now see the factory restore button; Please select the restore point and press the next button.
- Now you will see the warning message before processing the request. Please press the continue button.
Other queries related to the Lenovo laptop sound not working issue?
Why am Unable to play audio on YouTube and zoom app?
If sound is not working on Lenovo laptop while using the YouTube or zoom app, please check the Volume control center. You may have mute the audio for those apps. So open the volume mixer on your device and unmute the audio for that specific app.
How do I improve sound quality on a Lenovo laptop?
Apart from the general audio driver. Some laptop also needs the advance driver like- a Realtek or HD audio etc. So you should scan for driver requirement.
Why is Lenovo laptop microphone not working?
As a speaker, The microphone can also be that’s why you can’t hear the audio. So you can go to the recording section in the sound settings.
Apart from this, the microphone might not be working on windows 11 pc because of privacy settings issue.
Go to the privacy settings in Windows 10 and allow access to the microphone app.
There are two ways to install the audio driver on the Lenovo laptop.
1. install the audio driver automatically- Open the device manager and click on the scan for hardware changes. Now double click on the audio device and then click on the install driver.
2. Install the audio driver manually- If you want to install the audio driver manually on your lenovo laptop, you need to download the audio driver from the lenovo official website. now run the setup and follow the guide to install the driver.