If you’ve been redirected to suspicious websites while browsing the internet, you may have fallen victim to the notorious Yahoo redirect virus.
This malicious software can hijack your browser & manipulate search results to redirect you to unsafe websites.
Not only is it annoying, but it can also put your online security at risk. Fortunately, removing the Yahoo redirect virus is possible with the right tools and techniques.
What is Yahoo Redirect Virus?
Yahoo Redirect Virus is a type of Malware that affects your web browser. This virus mainly targets Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Internet Explorer. It hijacks your web browser and redirects your search queries to Yahoo search results.
Which may contain sponsored ads and malicious links. It may also change your homepage and display unwanted pop-up ads.
How Does Yahoo Redirect Virus Infect Your Computer?
Yahoo Redirect Virus can infect your computer in various ways, such as:
- Downloading freeware or shareware from untrusted sources.
- Clicking on malicious links or pop-up ads.
- Opening attachments from unknown senders in your email.
- Using infected removable devices like USB drives.
How to Remove Yahoo Redirect Virus from Your Computer?
Step 1: Uninstall Unwanted Programs-
The first step to removing the Yahoo redirect virus from your computer is to uninstall any unwanted programs that may be causing the infection. These programs can often be disguised as legitimate software or bundled with freeware downloads. To uninstall unwanted programs, follow these steps:
- Open the Control Panel.
- Click on “Programs and Features.”
- Scroll through the installed programs list and look for suspicious or unfamiliar applications.
- Select the program you want to uninstall and click “Uninstall.”
Step 2: Remove Malware using Antivirus Software:
After uninstalling unwanted programs, the next step in removing the Yahoo redirect virus is to scan your computer for Malware using reputable antivirus software.
Antivirus software can detect and remove any malicious software causing the Yahoo redirect virus.
To remove Malware using antivirus software, follow these steps:
- Make sure your antivirus software is up-to-date.
- Now launch the antivirus and run a full system scan.
- The software will automatically detect and quarantine any viruses or Malware found on your computer.
Step 3: Reset Your Web Browser Settings –
The final step in removing the Yahoo redirect virus from your computer is to reset your web browser settings. This will remove any unwanted extensions or plugins causing the virus and reset your browser to its default state.
To reset your web browser settings, follow these steps:
- Open your web browser.
- Go to the settings.
- Look for the option to reset your browser settings. This option is typically located in the “Advanced” or “Settings” section of your browser’s menu.
- Click the reset button to confirm that you want to reset your browser settings.
- After the reset is complete, restart your browser.
Step 5: Clean Your Browser Extensions –
Another step you can take to remove the Yahoo redirect virus from your computer is to clean your browser extensions. Malicious extensions can often source browser hijacking and unwanted pop-up ads.
Cleaning your browser extensions can help identify and remove any malicious or unwanted extensions that may be causing the Yahoo redirect virus.
To clean your browser extensions, follow these steps:
- Open your web browser and navigate to the extensions or add-ons menu.
- Look for any suspicious or unfamiliar extensions that may be causing the virus.
- Click on the extension and select the option to remove or uninstall it.
- If you’re unsure whether an extension is causing the virus, you can disable it temporarily and see if it persists.
- After removing or disabling any unwanted extensions, restart your browser.
Change the default Homepage & search engine settings on the browser-
Once you have changed all these settings on your browser, it’s time to change the home page settings.
- Open the browser on your computer.
- Click on the menu and go to the settings.
- Click on the default home page settings.
- Here, you need to choose the default home page.
- Now select the default search engine as google, bing, or whatever you like.
- Finally, save the settings and close the window.
Now you have successfully removed the yahoo redirect virus from your browsers. So whenever you search for anything on your browser, your queries will be redirected to the default search engine.