Every day, we receive countless emails in our Gmail inboxes. Most of these are spam, promotional and emails, because of which sometimes it becomes difficult to pay attention to important emails. That is why sensible Gmail users always label their emails by categories so that it is easy for them to pay attention to all the essential incoming emails.
So, if you also want to label the incoming emails in Gmail automatically but don’t know how? Not to worry at all. Please follow this tutorial to mark the emails in Gmail.
What happens when you label email in Gmail?
Gmail labels are just a custom sub-folder in Gmail where you can store your emails.
When you apply a label to a specific type of email in Gmail, all incoming emails appear in that label instead of the primary inbox. This not only keeps your mailbox organized but also increases your productivity. There are many reasons for its change in Gmail.
How to automatically label emails in Gmail?
Here I have divided the process of labelling emails in Gmail into two parts. We will create the label in the first part, and in the second part, we will create the filter. In which we will label the emails.
So without wasting more time, let’s begin the process.
Part 1- Create the Gmail label –
- Let’s open the browser on your computer.
- Enter https://gmail.com and press the enter button.
- Once you get to the Gmail sign-in page, you need to enter the email address & password. Now click on the sign-in button.
- After reaching the Gmail mailbox, click on the Settings icon. You will see it on the right of the mailbox, and click on the See All Settings button.
- As soon as you reach the Gmail settings page, you have to click on Labels.
- Now Click on the create new label button.
- Here, you need to enter the Label name. It could be anything that you like.
- Now click on the create button.
Create a Filter to label emails automatically in Gmail –
Once you have made the label in Gmail. It’s time to create a filter. So that you can label the incoming emails in Gmail.
- Go back to the Gmail settings page.
- Here, you need to click on the Filters & blocked address tab.
- Scroll down and push create a filter button.
- Now enter the keywords of the email. So Gmail can identify which email needs to be levelized. After that, click on the create filter.
- Put a check on applying to label: now select the label from the drop-down menu.
- If you want to apply this label to the existing messages, you can check the apply to matching conversation button. as
- Now click on the Create filter button.
From now on, whenever there is an email with matching keywords, it will appear in your inbox and in that label. So you can check it directly by clicking on the label.
Can Emails go directly to the label in Gmail?
Yes! They can. All you have to do is create a filter and label the incoming emails. So they can land on the label.
How to apply the label to existing messages?
If you want to apply labels to the existing messages in Gmail. You can use it on your device.
- Open the Gmail account.
- Go to the settings >> see all settings.
- Press the filters & blocked address tab.
- Now click on the edit button available in the filter.
- Here, you need to check the apply to matching conversation box.
- Finally, click on the update button.
How to remove a label from a Gmail message?
Suppose you want to remove a label from a Gmail message. You can do it from windows settings.
- Open the Gmail account.
- Click on the settings.
- Now click on the see all settings.
- Here, you need to click on the filters and Blocked addresses.
- Select the filters >> click on the delete button.