When you install a brother printer all in one driver, then along with the printer the driver of the scanner will also be installed in it. So that you can easily scan documents with your printer.
But sometimes brother printer doesn’t scan from the Windows 10 computer. When they give the command for scanning from their computer, they see the following type of error.
“A problem prevented the document from being scanned”
In normal cases, this error has been seen in the windows 8.1 and later versions. In case, If you are unable to print the documents
Why is a problem prevented the document from being scanned error occurred in windows computer?
Often the brother printer stops scanning the Windows computer when it has a connection or software problem. for example –
- USB Connection issue.
- Communication or software glitch.
- Windows Image Acquisition service is disabled.
- Insufficient permissions for windows & Scan
- The OEM app is corrupted or outdated.
- System files are corrupted.
- USB Cables are broken.
How do you fix a problem prevented the document from being scanned?
So now we know the root cause for windows fax and scan could not complete scan, It’s time to fix it. For that, you need to follow the steps given below.
Reboot the printer and computer-
When you get the scanning related error on the windows computer. You should power cycle the printer and computer in the following manner.
- First of all, you need to shut down the computer.
- Now power off the brother printer, and then remove the power adapter as well.
- Wait for a minute, after that plugin the power adapter and power on the printer.
- Now boot up the computer.
Once you see the home screen on the computer, let’s try to scan a new document again.
Check the USB Connection-
Mostly, a problem prevented the document from being scanned error appears because of the USB connection error. So you should check two things.
- When you are using an older brother printer or scanner, that supports the USB 2.0 connection only. It should not be connected to the USB 3.0 port of the printer. If so, you need to disconnect the printer /scanner from the USB 3.0 port and connect it to the USB 2.0 port on your computer and laptop.
- Check the health of the USB cable, when the cable is broken. It will not be able to maintain the appropriate connection. Due to which, you will see such types of errors on the screen. If you have an extra cable connect it from your printer to the computer.
After changing the connection, you should try to access the printer again. If that doesn’t work, you need to restart the printer.
Run Troubleshooting program to fix scanning issue-
If you haven’t found the problems related to the USB connection. Please run the windows troubleshooting program on your device.
- Press the windows + X key simultaneously.
- Click on the settings option and then go to the update and security.
- Now click on the troubleshoot option.
- Here you need to click on the additional troubleshooters option.
- Click on the printer and then press the run the troubleshooter option.
Now the windows troubleshooter will start detecting the issues. Once it will find the errors, you need to click on the apply to fix button.
After completing the troubleshooting process, you should retry to access the printer again.
Restart the WIA service –
Sometimes, windows is unable to scan the documents from the brother printer due to the WIA services. When windows image acquisition services stopped working. The computer will start displaying the “a problem preventing the document from being scanned” . So you should go to the service manager and restart the WIA services on the computer.
- Type services in the windows search and press the enter button. (if you are using the windows 7 or 8.1, please open the run box >> type services.msc >> click on ok button)
- Look for the windows image acquisition (WIA) service and then click on it.
- Now press the restart button available at the top left corner.
Once you have restarted the services, you should retry to scan the documents. It should be scanning now.
Use the windows scan Application-
Sometimes, windows fax and scan applications are unable to function due to the registry settings. In such a case, users might get the “a problem preventing the document from being scanned” error. So you should install an additional scanning app (windows scan or OEM) from the microsoft store. And then try to scan the docs through these images.
- Press the windows button and click on the microsoft store.
- Type windows scan in the search box and press the enter button.
- Now click on the windows scan app and then click on the get button.
- Now try to scan the documents through a new app.
Reinstall the driver-
If you have already tried the above steps but can’t fix the “a problem prevented the document from being scanned” error on windows computer. It means something is wrong with the printer software. So you should uninstall the current driver from the computer. Now install the latest driver into the computer.
- Open the run box by pressing the windows + R key.
- Enter appwiz.cpl and then press the ok button.
- Pick up the brother printer driver and then click on the uninstall button.
- Now press the yes button on the UAC control window.
- Once the printer driver gets uninstalled successfully, you have to restart the computer.
After that, you need to go to the official website and download the latest driver for your printer. Finally, install the brother printer driver into the computer. It will start working fine for you now.
Check the firewall and antivirus-
Sometimes, the firewall might be blocking the scanning process. Due to which, you may be getting the scanning error. So go to the inbound and outgoing settings of the firewall and unblock the printer. Why Is Windows Defender Firewall Blocking The Brother Printer?
Frequent questions related to the windows scanning error?
What is scanning error on windows?
When your computer is unable to scan the document from the printer then it shows an error which we also know as scanning error. In Windows 10 this error can be of this type. Often this error occurs when your printer is not connected to the computer or there is a problem with the firewall and Windows scanner.
Why is my brother scanner not detected on the windows computer?
Generally that happens due to the connection issue. So you should disconnect the usb wire from the printer and then reconnect it. Now retry to scan the documents. It should be working fine for you now.